Friday, December 18, 2009

Unconditional Love

When I was in 6th grade, my mother was dating a man whose mother was morbidly obese. She didn't have a lot of money, and rarely left her home, but was one of the most kind, generous, and loving people I had ever known. I spent a lot of time with her over the course of that year, and when "Grandparent's Day" arrived, I couldn't wait to have her come to school with me as my "Grandmother" so that I could introduce this wonderful woman to all my friends.
Later that day on the playground, I heard some of the kids in my class making fun of her and talking about how FAT she was. Even after spending endless hours with this woman, it was the first time I ever noticed that she was overweight. I had never seen her that way. She was always just sweet Mary to me.
I don't know what made me think of this just now...but the impact that day had on me was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment